Sunday, October 17, 2010

Landscapes

I've reached a point where I no longer find it a desirable exercise to try to remember how many years ago something took place - It happened - If any events in my life are important, in the grand scheme of things, the fact that they happened is what matters.

It's gotten harder to remember, to pinpoint times of events. Perhaps that's a sign of decline associated with age. Maybe it's just the way memory works as you add more and more and more as the years pass... also associated with age, it would seem. Probably both.

Viewing this revelatory moment as an
accoutrement of wisdom would probably be wrongheaded. It's an annoyance to search my brain pan and come up empty as often as I do. It's that simple, I think.

Yet there are many times I succeed, and find it an unsatisfying exercise. Perhaps that's because so many reference points are so far advanced past the years I expected to be riding in flying cars, and those very future-world dates now sit so very long ago.

It occurs to me, now, as I'm writing this, that I've NEVER been good at such estimations, just as the reckoning of someone's age has never been a strong suit of mine. So maybe the only thing notable about all this is that I'm finally devaluing such skills.

And we'll harbor no notion of this being a surrender to the dulling of the edges, a sad and important decision that will lead to my being less and less sharp as I continue on the road to dotage. I'll read a book now and then, and will continue keeping my razor sharp mental reflexes honed by picking on people... and playing synapse challenging games of Tetris with continued regularity.

And down the road don't ask me when this moment of clarity
occurred. I'll be lucky if I remember that it happened following a percocet, a big shot of Patron, and a Founders Centennial Ale at a Greg Dulli show.

Hey. It happens.

"Suck What?"
Robert Mitchum to Director John Heller on the set of "Eyes of War"
in the year 19-who-gives-a-shit?

17 Comments:

Blogger Paul Koestner said...

I'm sorry, I found this link on my Facebook wall. Do I know you?

Oh, and while I'm here snooping around (see previous post), if my home team's victories were foregone conclusions financed by a crime syndicate I'd be one of two things: ashamed or bored. Probably both.

I know why winning teams garner boatloads of adoring fans. I just don't see where pride enters into the equation. One might just as reasonably cheer for the dawn of the new day. Come to think of it...

10:56 AM  
Blogger H. Harvey said...

My response to you, Paul, is... "OK" and "Did I ever mention Pride?" I started in 1961 knowing nothing of payrolls. I fell for Mantle, Maris, Whitey Ford, Joe Pepitone, Elston Howard (especially) Tom Tresh, the whole gang. I stayed loyal. Yup, they are a big pig, yup they are New York. I love New York. I also love the Yankees, even when they spend a billion on shite, though that REALLY pisses me off. But what should you haters care about the guy sitting on a mountain of gold being pissed off? It's a luxury I can clearly afford.
So I repeat, "OK."

11:57 AM  
Blogger H. Harvey said...

and why are you commenting about the Yankees on the entry concerning what most would characterize as a post mid-life crisis? Weird boy, boy.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gud

4:51 AM  
Anonymous uncle sam said...

wow !!!!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Lucas Almeida said...

hi guys
come share my books with my blog
http://odesabrochar.blogspot.com/
this book is that like twilight and harry potter totally in the style of the book
worth every week I check a chapter
people kissing

8:56 PM  
Blogger Damian Bruździak said...

I have to admit an interesting blog and interesting article. I read it three times and each time there is something that amazes me and wonders. congratulations. and invite you to my blog:

http://wymarzonesamochody.blogspot.com/

7:53 AM  
Blogger TANYA NATAZSHA said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:09 AM  
Blogger hapi said...

Hi H. Harvey, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

5:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I hadn't really thought about it that way. I guess that living life is something similar to learning in grade school. It all becomes a melting pot of stuff you know.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing such tipe of nice information with your post.



Use this keyword for getting more knowledge about Hallmöble | Barnrum | Säng | Soffbord | Matbord | Sängar furniture.click on this hypertext.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Shilo said...

Życząc radosnej twórczości opublikował ten komentarz Grzeh radząc dolewanie oleju do brzuszka gdy braknie Ci sił lub pomysłów.

5:58 AM  
Blogger sovereignfunding021 said...

This is absolutely stunning! Please also visit on these hypertext keywords:--- buyers of structured settlements | money for structured settlement | | structured settlement need cash now | cash money settlement

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Discovery of India said...

Excellent post with awesome information. Liked it. Hemis Festival in India best festival of ladakh tour.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice blog keep it up!

http://www.footballnewsguru.com/

2:22 PM  
Blogger Kelebek nakliyat said...


BBC inter-city and inter-city cargo storage items, our company is part of the shipping company first comes to mind at the mention of the transport SOME SITE CHARACTERISTICS
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliye
Şehirlerarası nakliyat
Şehirlerarası nakliye
İstanbul evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Evden eve nakliyat
baza
Bazalar
ucuz baza
başlık
bazacı
kaliteli bazalar
Thank you thank you for choosing us

8:40 AM  
Blogger Aakash said...

thank you for sharing about this informative post :-)

Beauty Industry
Dermacol

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home