Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Must See!

So some of you, perhaps better identified as the one or two who have been checking in, may have noticed a trend on my part as of late, here and in my last two blog entries.

First, to those of you who are tuning in to read my blowhard jive, I thank you. Don’t get me wrong, Dolli is a great audience, but my only consistent one and, as she already tells me how incredibly smart, insightful and clever I am as part of a regular, therapeutic regimen, I still find myself needing just the tiniest bit more. With the constituency this blog maintains, I believe, “tiny” will be the operative word here.

While there is, to be sure, more to my life, some things are difficult to write about at length, in short, or in any way whatsoever that would, with my limited narrative skills, prove interesting… to me first and foremost, explaining my inability to entertain yet someone else with the claptrap of my day-to-day.

So over the last couple days I’ve found it fun to either share my joy over reading something great or viewing a film with some attributes, or doing you, dear
reader point 5, a self serving service by warning you away from some perceived (I won’t say ‘crap’ as if you’ve already partaken and liked, my comment, implying you are a moron, whether right or wrong would be less than useful, friendship wise) less than perfect offering out there.

Sacrificing myself for the greater good, if you will.

So now: “My Man Godfrey” Holy crap! What a wonderful, mannered film with the coolest guy S. by S.E. of Cary Grant and the hottest broads (timely colloquial reference) on any block, at any time. This, of course, the 1936 version starring our hero, William Powell- which could start us raving about him and Myrna Loy as the incredibly cool, charming acerbic with a bourbon glass and a smoke in hand at all times, stars of "The Thin Man" - any man’s fantasy, even in black and white, Carol Lombard, and a pretty hot, though lesser known, Gail Patrick as Irene’s (Miss Lombard’s) big sis.

I don’t really need to go into the plot here. It’s a wonderful bit of pre-war Universal Studios whimsy, quality enough to be nominated for 6 Oscars, winning one for
Alice Brady, playing the roll of family matriarch, Angelica Bullock.

I know some old 1937 B&W studio pic is as likely a Netflix destination for you as is, say, Toledo Ohio a vacation spot for a well deserved burn-out holiday in January, but if you see it running on AMC or TMC or just want to pick up a movie for a great escape, I couldn’t recommend it more. I have, personally, btw, seen it probably 6 times now.

Next up… or at least soon to come: ‘Life With Father.’ I’m on a roll!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home