Saturday, October 11, 2008

To Senator McCain

I'm not thrilled using this page as a bully pulpit to influence all my readers (Kirk, you out there?) on our political race, but again, along with a couple newspapers I sent a variation of this to, I feel a compelling need to say this

Please,

As a Democrat, I'll admit I've felt for years (much to my surprise and odd comfort) that if I had to have a Republican president, I could live with it being John McCain. My impression was that you were a fiscal conservative and, largely, moderate to liberal on many social issues.

But things are now getting out of hand. This election may be getting away from you based on what's going on with our economy but please, I beg you, don't continue this poorly veiled campaign of hate that has developed over the last couple weeks.

You know Barack Obama is not a member of Islam, and you know he has never 'consorted' with terrorists, and you know he's an American. The kind of campaigning you're doing now has Americans that support you HATING the man who might be the next President.

You say your life has been based on service to your country. Is this horribly divisive appeal that stirs up all the rage and frustration that lower income white America has, to the point that these
rallys are producing 'mobs' that are yelling that Barack Obama should be killed, what you see as service?

Is this what you want as your base, as your LEGACY?

I've seen interview after interview. So many of these people have no idea who Sarah
Palin is, no real idea of you and your history, other than you were a P.O.W. They only 'know' that some guy with an Arabic name, as told by attractive Sarah and ads on TV, is some unpatriotic foreigner trying to steal their country.

You may say publicly "No, he's a good man" but your people are doing this constantly, and no one, for one minute, believes you're not aware of this.

Please stop.

** I posted this and then it occurred to me. This kind of hatred that your ads, your spinners, and your running mate are all fomenting is something powerful enough to cross the timeline of Nov. 4th or January '09 and continue on. In this sense, in that your campaign is actually aiming to encourage distrust and caste hatred of Sen. Obama, as these are not actual policy issues spoken about anymore, this could truly be something of a telegraphed treason, isn't it? Now is THAT what you call service to your nation, what you would call a legacy? Truly Senator, this is out of control and you may be the only one who can put his foot down and stop it.

So again, I beg you to do so.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

Don't feel than in anyway shape or form I support this festival of lies and deceit. I had to walk out of class Wednesday when a classmate began discussing his openly admitted fear of Obama and how if elected, Obama will be sure to enslave the white man and ruin our country. I had to go laugh out loud in the hall, but it was only because I wanted to either punch him in the face or cry over how susceptible people are to fear and misinformation and that racism and mistrust in one another is still feed to us.

10:25 AM  
Blogger H. Harvey said...

Oh no, don't misunderstand. I wrote what I wrote based on the fact that after hiring an outside firm to do an in depth readers poll that my constituency here at The 'H; Stands for Harvey consists of almost in toto... you!

I also wrote a sentence in there that made no sense, grammatically, and have since fixed it.

Yeah, this last couple weeks in America (not to mention the rest of the globe) is pretty surreal in a kind of horrific way.

I can;t believe that 'honor' means so little to so many folks.

xo

3:04 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Thank you for explaining. I thought you meant I was a McCain supporter or sympathizer.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home