Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Exploding Toy Run


Moving back to Akron represented two monumental life changes. The first was the ridiculous amount of personal happiness likely to hang with me for the rest of my life.

"And if THAT isn’t enough, if you call now, Harvey Gold, we’ll throw in a handy dandy extension on your life , not by one year, not by 5 years… but BY AT LEAST 2-3 MORE DECADES THAN YOU WOULD HAVE HAD, HAD YOU STAYED IN NEW YORK!!!!"

The second was this move requiring a career decision that would result in a dramatically reduced income (DRI).

And the answer is...... Deal and done.

But regardless, what I’ve had to learn, and friends, let me tell you, it’s been hard fought lo these 6 years, was to NOT SPEND LIKE A NEW YORKER!

I’m getting a little better at it.

For example, sometimes I’ll go to ‘The Acme’ and we’ll have soup and salad at home instead of Sushi, and I’ve pretty much opted out of doing any shopping in the Nordstrom’s Men’s Shop anymore.

But periodically, I experience frightening explosions, and they seem to occur on two main fronts.

Before I go into those, yes there are other places of indulgence. For instance, there are great temptations whenever we go to Sam’s Club, based on the idea that if you buy things by the pallet, you MUST be saving so much money, your portfolio will have ACTUALLY GROWN by the time you finish at check out! Mombi understands this kind of logic.

And there will never, ever be any regrets about any generosity we show the kids, because a) we love them so, and b) we’re gonna live a long time and they’re going to have to take care of us (we hope) in our bothersome, but quirkily entertaining dotage.

But now the two most notable lapses in good fiscal judgement:

Single Malt Scotch

My pal, Chris Seivard, first turned me on to good Single Malt Scotch at a converted estate in Aberdeen, Scotland a number of years ago. Didn’t much like Scotch before then. Sure do now. Sadly, as a rule, the only cheap Single Malt (thanks dude) is a dead single malt, and there are soooo many different Single Malts to choose from. So many regions with their own noses and, and, and… I don’t go after the Billion Dollar Single Casks from McNapoleon’s Garage variety, and I’ve narrowed my favorites down somewhat, but the cheapest, at a great price, is still around $45 a fifth.

Fortunately I’m not a big drinker. Unfortunately, I’ve turned a disproportionately large part of my family (Gayle, Kirk, and Joey) into interested parties, and have also managed same with a few of my local friends (one I've managed to spill some pretty good stuff with trying to catch fish at night on my ex-pedal boat. Good times. Good times. Especially during the blind midnight docking competition) thus the occasional Big McHarvey’s Tour Of Scotland putting a nice dent in the inventory, sending me into the bittersweet re-stocking mode. Sam’s Wines in Chicago, where they have excellent prices, a dizzying selection, and... SAMPLES... is my blessing and my curse.

God Bless My Curse.

Next up and when it blows, it can really blow, is:

Musical Instruments and their Pals

Now I’m not completely nuts, but it does come in spurts, and with the Lord as my witness., it’s just not my fault.

I blame Dolli first, for giving me back my life as Harvey, which includes a need to play and sing, meaning guitars, amps, pianos, keyboards, microphones, a little recording equipment, accessories… and stuff of that ilk.

I blame my brother Larry for buying me my first Harmony arch top in 1964, officially, my having taken piano lessons since ’59, making me a multi-instrumentalist.

I blame The Beatles for the obvious.

I blame Chris Butler today for re-introducing me to Class A tube amps and … THE GIBSON SG.

Finally, I blame being in the Television and Film Production Industry, where a simple screw can cost $75, giving me a warped perspective of money, to the point that when I buy said Class A tube amp and 1968 Gibson SG (needs some work, but still…) for the LOW LOW PRICE OF … well I got both for under $1000 on e-Bay, I somehow think that my portfolio will be bigger by the time PayPal hits my account.

It way won't.

Super Sub Blame: eBay and PayPal

So clearly... it's not me who should be blamed.

Sidebar:
l) Laphroaig 15
Older is undoubtedly great as the difference between this and the 10 is astonishing, but I'm on a budget
2) Bowmore Darkest
Mother's sweet caramel!
3) Mortlach 15
I think its 15... also caramel, both interesting as they're Islays, so filled with peat

Perfectly good as well:
- Lagavulin 16
BIG peat, drink her neat!
- Talisker 10
I hear there's an older one. Could be killer

- The Glenlivet... yeah, you heard me right... 18
The 12 BLOWS, but this is really nice Highland stuff
- Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finish
A little heavy handed, but sweet. A nice, no work, drinking Highland

NOW THIS... IS ART!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mombi said...

Oh just you wait, Mr. Harvey Gold. "Pretty soon" I'll have my basement cleaned out and these jokes will be no more!

I am compelled to buy in bulk under the following conditions:
1. We use it A LOT (I think that means only TP & bar soap... really.)
2. I will make a lot of effing money on it.

I'm working on #2. And one day that paypal account will pay for your raisin ranch. Near a mall.

10:06 AM  
Blogger H. Harvey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:42 AM  
Blogger H. Harvey said...

D-Mom thought "It way won't" was unusual, too. Hmmmm... the flat spots on my brain are apparently taking an entertaining turn. Glad I could help.

xoxo

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

I'm too cheap to have expensive tastes, but then again, there's single malt scotch.

If only there was a Gabriel Brothers for single malts. Ah, to dream.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home